Thursday, April 10, 2008

Lamb

The past few days I have been studying the Passover. In case you aren't familiar with it, the Passover was when God told the Israelites that each family needed to slaughter a 1 year old, undefected lamb and smear its blood on the family's door frame. Then, that night God would pass through and the Destroyer (the angel of death) would kill the firstborn son and animal in each household that didn't have the blood on the door frame- namely, the firstborn Egyptian sons, as God had provided a way for His chosen people (the Israelites) to be safe from this fate. You can read the story for yourself in Exodus 12.

In the Beth Moore study I'm doing, called "Jesus," I was reminded that Jesus was crucified the day after the Passover celebration- a celebration that Jewish people have continued to celebrate since the original Passover occurred. Basically- God is brilliant. Way, way back in the days of Moses he was already preparing His plans to send Jesus to save us from eternal death. Since God is holy- without sin- and we aren't, we pretty much needed help or we'd be screwed. Forever. Luckily for us, God is Love. Sometimes I find myself forgetting what all of God's seemingly crazy laws were all about... but again I am reminded that they served a purpose... to set us up for Jesus! The Passover instructions seemed completely random to me when I first heard them... but now I see what an awesome picture it creates of what Jesus is for me... and you. He is OUR lamb, the one who's blood we need in order for the angel of death- eternal death- to pass over us. But how WONDERFUL it is that God even provided our lamb for us... all we have to do is believe in Him and have faith that Jesus' blood spilt for us is enough to grant us life- abundant and eternal.

Today I am thankful for God's provision of Jesus in my life- the fact that I have his blood covering my "doorway," so that I don't have to fear what lies ahead. His grace is sufficient for me. 

No comments: